Alcon is the global leader in eye care, dedicated to helping people see brilliantly. With our 70-plus-year heritage, we are the largest eye care device company in the world – with complementary businesses in Surgical and Vision Care. Being a truly global company, we work in over 70 countries and serve patients in more than 140 countries. We have a long history of industry firsts, and each year we commit a substantial amount in Research and Development to meet customer needs and patient demands.
We have structured Engagement Programs with a robust communication strategy & plan, put into place, which are carried out both by face-to-face and virtually, to connect to the employees who are on site and working from home:
- i. Engagement Programs like Project Ceria (virtual and face-to-face programs) which consists of festivities celebrations, talent shows, sport & recreation, charity works, companywide bonding and cross-sites regional games to boost the engagement among the associates.
- ii. Celebrate the successes at work through eRecognization platforms such as, eTQ Cards, eBadges, Star and Gold Awards, Star Maker Award and project completion recognitions. Food or shopping vouchers as tokens of a job well done. We have our employees’ pictures on our Wall of Fame and digital platforms as a recognition of their invaluable efforts.
- iii. Long Service Award to recognize the loyalty of the employees.
- iv. Bi-annual cross department bonding sessions to enhance the teamwork and collaboration between the various divisions/departments.
- v. Digital and physical platforms available for continuous improvement ideas to be deposited while the Health, Safety & Environmental (HSE) council meetings shares important information that caters for the associates’ safety, wellbeing and compliance needs.
- vi. Communication platforms created for employees’ feedback such as, HSE Feedback Net, Ethics Helpline as part of the Employee Assistance Programs, Global Townhalls with global leaders, Management Walkabouts, Quarterly Town Hall meetings, Division Townhalls, Department meetings, Management meetings, Daily Toolbox meetings, individual 1:1 session, leadership forums and skip level meetings, new hire round table and casual cross management level sharing (called “Teh Tarik” Sessions).
- vii. Quarterly Employee Engagement Survey (powered by GLINT) for engagement measurements and identifying area of opportunities.
- viii. Publicizing the teams achievements through via internal communication portals like Yammer, emails, Townhall meetings, TV panels and participating in external recognition celebration events.
As part of ALCON’s mission statement, we enhance people’s quality of life, as when people see brilliantly, they live brilliantly. We thrive on this passion to improve people’s lives, hence giving is our vocation. Here are some examples our notable efforts of giving back to our community:
- i. The annual World Sights Day sponsorship in optical assessment, treatment, consultation and refractive correction to help people see brilliantly.
- ii. Yearly community service through Alcon in Action (AiA) helping the marginalized with much needed assistance such as dry provision, medical equipment and supplies, sponsorship in medical expenses and home makeover programs.
- iii. Caring for our mother-earth for our future generations, we proactively consider environmental risks and impacts across the entire life-cycle of our activities and products; from research and product design to sourcing. We implemented recycling programs and water and energy conservation projects, such as renewal energy program using solar energy and landfill waste reduction programs. Here some of the examples of key initiatives implemented at the site:
- Installation of a rooftop solar PV system which is able to harness an annual solar energy output of an approximately 4.5MW, which is equivalent to 15,640GJ. This is a reduction of CO2 emission of 57,269 metric tons CO2e!
- Harvesting rainwater for landscaping and cleaning of exterior of building.
- We treated all our wastewater to ensure it safe before discharging to the drains.
- Extensive use of energy saving bulbs and energy saving devices.
- Recycling of raw materials used in production, where funds obtained for these recycling efforts are channeled back to community service activities.
- We advocate tree planting at the site and within the community e.g. at schools to promote the importance of preserving nature.
- We have an excellent schedule waste management process with full compliance with the national guidelines
These are just a few of what we do, to give back to our community and we hope to continue to find other means to help and give in any way we can.
In Alcon, we believe in developing our associates to enable them to excel in their career to drive the business forward. As the saying goes, “when we’re always learning, we’re always growing”. We emphasize on the 70/20/10 Model for learning and development ensuring a positive return on training investment, for both our employees and the company. Our programs include technical competency development, supervisory and management skills, as well as business know-how enhancement sessions. An annual structured training needs analysis (TNA) exercise is carried out, which in turn will derive a site annual training plan (SATP) to cater for the personal development plan for all level of employees at the site. Additionally we have an education assistance program (EAP) for those who want to further their studies, a cross-site or inter-department employee exchange program (EEP), professional certification programs, mentoring and coaching sessions, overseas on-job training and external training sponsorship are also included in the plan. Thus, these ensure all the different development needs are being addressed. We are able to achieve an average of 88% completion rate of our SATP annually even though the site operates at a utilization rate of above 90%, is evident of the importance we place our associates development! Lastly, we show our appreciation for the continuous support from the participants, trainers, facilitators, organizers, supervisors and management team in our BUILD SKILLS efforts for our associates’ growth, whenever we have a chance!